Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Monday, Sept 2nd

My companion is good. He is Brazilian. Sometimes I want to pull my hair out but I am just grateful that he follows the rules and has a desire to serve. Communication is rough at times but I just shrug my shoulders and laugh. 

The houses are way different here. I am in the city. If you want to look it up on google, it is called Nova Esperanca, Goiania, Goias, Brazil. Nova Esperanca is the neighborhood, Goiania is the city, Goias is the state, and Brazil. They have streets and within the streets they have Quadras and then they have lots. There is no space between each house, just a concrete wall.  Everything is concrete. I will try to take pictures and show you. 

This week we had lunch in a different city and it was so nice to get out of. Brazil is pretty but I think our Colorado Rocky Mtns still win!  Then again, I haven't seen a whole lot of Brazil yet. 

This week I had cool experience. I was really down about the language and thinking about how I am not effective because I can't share very in depth doctrine or answer questions well and stuff like that. I was thinking about how much better it would be to serve in an English speaking mission and that I could jump right in.  I was pretty sad. I was happy to be here, but just really down. Then a half hour later, we were knocking doors and some guy sitting on the street started talking to me. They were easy questions and I was able to respond. He asked me how long I had been studying Portuguese and I replied (2 months). Then he held up 10 fingers and said "I have been studying English for 10 years". And that he was waiting for a really long time to be able to speak to someone in English. I was so happy!!! I taught him the first lesson in English and it felt so good! He believed everything I taught him. I don't know if he will be baptized or not. Right now he has a tough time praying but I was so happy that God loves me so much and blessed me with that miracle. 

Because of that, I have a greater desire to learn Portuguese, I am more patient, and I know that eventually I will be able to say everything I want to say to my future investigators. 

So the biggest thing I have learned so far is patience. And that I need to work hard now with the knowledge that I do have. I know that my vocab will increase over time and it will get better. But I am living in the now and I will try to utilize every minute I have. 

That is cool to hear you had a Brazillian over the other night! Learn some Portuguese from her so we will be able to talk when I get home!

Thanks for sending mail! I am excited to receive it!  

I love all very much! Thanks for being awesome and supporting me! 

Elder Wild

No comments:

Post a Comment